Thursday, August 7, 2014

Her pick 1940s: The Philadelphia Story



Big name stars and awards.  Interesting plot.
I finally picked a good one again, ha!
This is Katherine Hepburn and Carey Grant as a divorced couple, she's about to be married again, and he drops in with some papparazzi to cover the big wedding event (they are high society, rich, etc).
Jimmy Stewart is a writer who has stooped to tabloid writing to make a living.  His partner, the photographer (struggling painter/artist) comes along as well.
We end up with a love triangle situation.
Far left, fiance, middle, ex-husband, right, wild card thrown in.



We ended up having to split this movie up over several nights due to the crazy sleep schedule around here lately, and I would love to sit and watch it straight through.


There is some great writing, one-liners, it's just very witty and quick at it too.



The guys are never really mean toward each other, really just united against the groom to be.


Here's the writer and photographer considering the assignment.

I really enjoyed this movie.  It might be my favorite.  The humor was more enjoyable to me than The Apartment.  As cliche as the characters were in the upper class vs. working class struggle, I still thought they had depth.  The character development wasn't as deep as in The Apartment.  But the interaction between all these characters was more entertaining. I like when an old movie can be smart funny and not just slapstick funny or cheesy.

So, I guess because of liking the actors and interaction and wit better, this one wins as my favorite.
I give it an 9 out of 10.  Don't know what I'm saving 10 for but I guess I will know it when I see it.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to watch it again one day.

12 movies down, 8 more to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment